Yesterday I headed up to Ping in Gainsborough for a really fun day out, kindly arranged by the Ping rep with whom I have worked for approximately 17 years!
My father, who was once off 6 and now has a handicap of 11, enjoyed a 90 minute custom fitting at the state of the art fitting centre. This was followed by a tour of the factory with the European Fitting Manager. We had lunch and then played at Gainsborough Golf Club. Here are some facts that you might like to know:
1) PING is a family-owned company founded in 1959 in the garage of Karsten Solheim. Karsten’s frustration with his putting inspired him to design a putter, which made a “pinging” sound when striking a golf ball.
2) Bubba Watson has 10 layers of tape under the top hand of his gold thickness grip and 12 layers under his bottom hand. His Pink driver is shorter than standard and his grips are fitted off line so that his clubs sit open.
3) There are 2,800 putters in the “Gold Putter Vault” at Ping’s headquarters in Arizona. Ping make two gold replicas to commemorate each tournament victory. The player has one and the other is secured in the vault.
4) Each Iron head is cast as a yellow lie and they are adjusted by hand into position for your order.
5) Each head is weighed and then weights are added to achieve the precise weight required.
6) The latest addition to the Ping range is the new “I Blade” which has been launched today for the expert golfer. It looks really neat.
I would recommend a club fitting for anyone thinking of purchasing a new set of clubs. Let me know if you would like an appointment arranging at the European Fitting Centre. It really is fun.