Huge field for Greetham Valley’s Captains’ Weekend

Greetham Valley’s Captains’ Weekend stableford competition was played off white tees on the Lakes course last Saturday with a great field of over a hundred and thirty in the men’s competition. Scotty Stevenson had a great round to win it, dropping only three shots on the front nine. In the back nine, he had a double bogey on the twelfth and a bogey on the fourteenth, he did however make up for them with birdies on the thirteenth and the last two holes. This gave Scotty the win with forty two points and saw him cut to seven. Paul Clegg off seven dropped only two shots to finish on forty one points for second place and earned a cut to six.

Third place wasn’t so clear cut, as four players came in with thirty eight points; Leon Wych took third on count back, Trevor Smith was fourth and was cut to one and Neil Lowndes was cut to seven and took fifth, Peter Smith was awarded sixth. Tim Rhys Williams was the best junior on the day. 

In the Ladies’ Competition, Sophie Beardsall dropped a shot on the par five second but that was the only mistake on an otherwise faultless round. It was pars all the way until she birdied the eleventh, a further par followed on the next hole then it was a birdie fest for the next four holes, a par three and two par fives. Sophie finished with two solid pars to record a score of forty one points and was rewarded with a cut to scratch. 

Emma Tipping was second with thirty nine points and was cut to 1.6. Ladies’ Vice Captain Sheila Douty was cut to fifteen after finishing third with thirty eight points.

On the Sunday, the second day of the captains’ weekend, a team multiplier was played over twelve holes. This fun format competition was won by Gary Graham, Kevin Burdall and Peter McCall with 121 points. Peter Zimmer Smith, Bill Skinner and Jo Morris were second with 101 and the team of Ian Bain, Dave Morgan and Neil Crees were third with 100 points.

The grand sum of £335 was raised over the weekend to go into the Junior funds, which Junior organiser Pat Jones said would be very welcome and would be put to good use.    

Father and son Shaun and Fraser Denholm had to be separated on count back in the midweek stableford. Both players came in with forty one points but Fraser took the win thanks to a birdie on the seventeenth. Shaun said that he had mixed emotions, pleased that Fraser had won but irritated that he had messed a couple of holes up. Fraser was cut to eight and Shaun to thirteen. Matthew Asher was also cut to thirteen after coming third with thirty nine points.

Neil Harris, who was involved in a collision with a motorcycle in Greetham village on Sunday morning whilst driving to play golf, is now out of hospital albeit bruised and shaken. The motorbike rider remains in a serious condition in hospital and we wish both a speedy recovery.