July Medal win for Nick and team news

Nick CunningtonThe July Medal was played on the Lakes course in very hot conditions and without even a hint of a breeze. In Division One, three players were tied on 73 points and were separated on countback. Nine handicapper Dave Pusch was placed second, John Simpson, also off nine, took third and plus one golfer Jordan Burdall was pushed back into fourth. Jordan at least had the consolation of winning the lowest gross with a stunning 72.

The winner of the division and the competition, Nick Cunnington, got off to a good start with a par on the first then took a step backwards when he moved the ball while removing his marker, as a result he called a one shot penalty upon himself. Not a good start but it is even worse when you are off four and you have just thrown away 25% of your handicap. A lesser man may have wilted at that but Nick put it straight out of his mind and got on with the rest of his game. He birdied the next two holes and didn’t drop another shot until the eighth, unfortunately, he then dropped another on the ninth. This left him at one over for the front nine, he got back to level when he birdied the tenth. Nick dropped just two more shots for the rest of the back nine to finish with a two over par 74, nett 70.

Nick said that the penalty was a silly mistake but said that the rules are there for a reason. He is looking forward to the 0-18 Club Championship this weekend and feels that in a strange way, the penalty incident could be a benefit. He is confident that his game is in good shape but now says that he has no doubts about his composure and ability to handle the pressure of a two day competition. His mantra for the future is “make adversity work for you”.

Peter Ryan, off thirteen, won division two with a splendid nett 72. Three players came in with a nett 73 and were separated on countback. Club President Martin Boughton was placed second and he also won the joint lowest gross with Peter. Steve Burgon was third and seventeen handicapper Robert Bailey took fourth.

Keith Ross won division three and the lowest gross with a 90, nett 71. Countback was employed to separate the next two places: Graham Stark and Keith Heppenstall were second and third respectively after both scoring a nett 75.

The Ladies Scratch Team got off to a good start, winning their first match of the season a couple of weeks ago. This week they played Stoke Rochford away. The in-form Emma Tipping beat Pam Watson six and five to get them off to a good start. Sophie Beardsall played in match two and she beat June Miller by three and two. Team Captain Gilly Grant won the final match one up against Chris Rowley to make it a clean sweep and full points for the team.

Gilly said that they always enjoy games at Stoke and with the course in fantastic condition ready for the Midland Youth competition it was even more of a pleasure. Gilly went on to say “Two wins out of two, but we can’t take anything for granted and must concentrate on one game at a time in order to retain the County Scratch Team Shield”. Their next game in a couple of weeks’ time is also away to  Belton Park – always a tough place to get a result.

The Greetham Valley First Team welcomed the arrival of fellow title contenders Blankney Golf Club on possibly the hottest day of the year so far, unfortunately it was the home team that wilted in the heat of battle. The father and son combination of Paul and Adam Clegg started the ball rolling with a narrow one up victory. However, Chris Steele and Fraser Denholm struggled to hold off the visitors and finally lost out three and one. Andrew Frisby and Ben Gasson were taken all the way to the eighteenth but finally saw off the visitors with a two up win. Neil Harris and Ben Easson trailed at the turn two down despite playing level par golf, however the visitors continued to make birdies and ran out four and three winners to level up the match.

In game five Club Captain Trevor Smith and Bob Green had another epic tussle with the game going all the way to the final hole with the Greetham pair just failing to reverse the losing trend, they finished one down. However the contest was all over by then and a four to two victory assured for Blankney as game six had already been decided, George Grant and Ally McNaughton suffering an unaccustomed heavy defeat eight and six.

Team Captain Neil Harris said  “With the good work of the earlier season clash at Blankney undone, the league title is once again wide open. With any one of four teams capable of finishing at the top of the pile it is imperative we get back on the winning trail as soon as possible. All of the top four have tough matches to come, so picking up points in the remaining games is vital for all concerned.”

On  the other side of the coin, the Second Team travelled to top of the table Blankney who had previously beaten them at home. In the first game Richard Wilson and Carl Causbrook won two and one, Neil Crees and Peter De Kremer kept up the impetus, they won one up. The team suffered a slight reversal when Simon Bateman and Paul Jenkinson lost three and two.

Team Captain Alan Bennett and Steff Dutton won two and one to put them back on track. They took all the points when Steve Anderson and Elliot Clarke won two and one. Dave Copley and Tony Mould won two up to give the team a five to one victory and sweet revenge for the defeat at home. Alan said that they are not in the hunt for promotion this year but this result means that their place in the league is secure.

John Taylor won the first division in the Seniors’ July Qualifier on countback from Neil Bradbury, they both scored 41 points. Ken Moore and Tim Howlett were also separated on countback and were third and fourth respectively, they each came in with 38 points. John Taylor won the overall competition. Ken Upton won division two with 38 points. Dave Lucas, Ian Kellam and Frank Maguire took the next three places on countback, they all scored 34 points.

The Mixed Team led by Ladies Vice Captain Bev Dolman had a great four to two win against Thorney Lakes at home on Saturday. The result could have been better but one of the Thorney team managed to chip in from over sixty five yards to a very difficult flag position on the eighteenth to win their game one up. This was the first and only time that they were ahead.