Mail on Sunday golf competition at Greetham Valley

Greetham Valley entertained March Golf Club at Greetham in the second round of the Mail on Sunday team knockout competition; as cold weather hit Rutland, the match was played on the Lakes course in wet and windy conditions. Team Captain Trevor Smith played in the courtesy match and won three and two to get proceedings under way.

George Grant was in match one and played his usual steady golf, he won by two and one against Mark Crawley playing off eleven.

Neil Harris took a day off from the Order of Merit to play against six handicapper Lee Forrester and won by three and two. 

Stef Dutton dropped only five shots in his game, unfortunately four of them were in the last four holes, this let his opponent in and he thanked Stef by parring the final four to halve the game. 

Dave Morgan playing in the fourth match was all square going into the eighteenth. He was playing against Andy Parsonage off seven; Andy hit his tee shot into the bunker – advantage Greetham Valley. Dave drove a good ball down the right hand side to leave a gap wedge to the green and a chance of a birdie to win in style. Dave played his ball first and hit it straight into the lake, Andy hit a cracking shot out of the bunker to within 15 foot. Dave then decided to try a little Jean Van De Velde shot by taking his shoes off and trying to hit his ball out of the water, it didn’t work for Jean, didn’t work for Dave either, he lost one down. It all now depended upon the last match on the course. 

Matt Williams off five was giving eight shots to his opponent Nick Carter, he lost one down on the eighteenth. The overall match was now all square and that meant more drama, extra holes had to be played until one of the players lost a hole. It was down to Matt and Nick to play them as they were the final game.

They both hit good drives but Nick had a bit of a bad bounce and found himself up against a tree and all he could do was chop it out. Matt hit his past the bunker, leaving an easy wedge in. Nick just missed the green but still had a chance of a four from two foot. Matt hit an “easy” wedge to the front fringe; he then went on to putt it straight into the hole for a birdie to win the overall match. 

Team Captain Trevor Smith finally breathed a sigh of relief and congratulated Matt and the rest of the team for a job well done but asked if they could make it a bit more clear cut in the next round as he didn’t think that he could take the strain of another match like that!