Order of Merit resumes, Ladies win Mail on Sunday 1st round

After a two week lay off due to heavy snow, the Winter Order of Merit got back underway on Sunday in cold and extremely windy conditions. Thankfully, the snow had gone and it didn’t rain but many of the competitors struggled in the conditions. Wayne Terrett got off to a bad start with bogies and blobs in the first five holes but after a birdie on the sixth he then went on to par the next eight holes to put himself into contention. However, a lapse in concentration caused him to drop shots on 15, 16 and 17. Wayne came home with thirty seven points, enough to place him third. He will lose point five off his handicap and will play off twelve in the next game, he moved up from fourteenth to tenth in the league table. 

Club Secretary Dennis Millington defied the years and the elements to record his best score of the series so far, thirty nine points and second place; Dennis said that there was nothing spectacular about his game, just steady golf right from the start. He loses a shot off his handicap and will now play off fifteen. Dennis moves up from thirty fourth to twenty third in the order of merit.

This weeks winner was Tony Mould playing off six. Tony got off to a bad start with bogies on the first two holes giving him just two points. After parring the next two, he dropped back with bogies on the next three to give him twelve points after seven. A birdie on the eighth resulted in a welcome three points followed by two points on the ninth, just one over his handicap for the front nine was a better return than he thought possible after the first couple of holes. Could it be a good enough springboard to give him a chance to go for the win that he needed to climb into the top three in the table?

The back nine was nothing short of a master class in how to play in the cold and windy conditions. After pars on the tenth and eleventh Tony hit one of the shots of the day on the par three twelfth. The flag was four paces on from the right, another two paces further right was a bunker: Tony hit a superb four iron into the gap only two feet from the hole and sank the putt for a birdie. He parred the next and birdied the tough par three fourteen, this was followed by a magnificent eagle on the par five fifteenth. The sixteenth was right into the teeth of the gale and Tony just missed out on another par but said that in the conditions he wasn’t too unhappy with that. Although the par four seventeenth was also into a tough wind he managed a hard fought par. One hole to go and the nerves were jangling, a cracking tee shot was followed by an uncharacteristic hit into the lake. Tony was determined not to drop more than one shot and chipped his next close and finished off with a bogie five. This gave him a fantastic score of twenty three for the back nine, forty overall and a gross score of seventy four, only two over gross.

Tony had to wait for the next five groups to come in before he was announced as the winner. He became the fourteenth first time winner this year and moved up from thirteenth to third on the table, he was also docked two shots off his handicap and will play off four in his next game. Paul Jenkinson, Steve Anderson and Ian Copley all tied for fourth with thirty six points.

Ian Copley retains first place thanks to a steady thirty six points, he has one hundred and seventy six points so far; the very steady Paul Jenkinson is ten points behind him and Tony Mould is third on one hundred and fifty five. Adam Clegg is in fourth for the moment but he will be out for at least six weeks after breaking his collar bone in a fall while snow skiing. George Grant is less than a point behind Adam in fifth.

Greetham Valley’s Ladies got off to a winning start in their first round of the Mail on Sunday team knockout competition on Sunday against local rivals Rutland County. The Rutland weather conditions were very cold and extremely windy. Gilly Grant got the team off to a good start when she beat Imogen Huxley six and five. Next up was Sue Brand who kept up the pressure by beating Ann Milsom two and one. Anne McCulloch also won her game beating Suzanne Huxley two up. Everybody went to the fourth match to support Pat Jamieson who was playing Michelle Powell. They halved their match to give Greetham the win. Scratch player Sophie Beardsall had a tough game on her hands against Trisha Clark, Sophie was giving Trisha twenty three shots and lost seven and five.  

Well done! The Ladies will find out who their next opponents are in a couple of weeks’ time.